Was this 19th Century home illegally demolished?
Updated: Jan 10, 2018
In 1894, the Mickel family and the rowdy tavern they owned and tended along Bergen Boulevard determined the boundary between the dry borough of Leonia and what would later become Fort Lee.
Today, 122 years after Leonia was incorporated as a borough, one of its houses has again driven a wedge between the two towns -- this time as a pile of rubble.
A Fort Lee developer tore down an abandoned, two-story home known as the “Mickel house” last month, triggering a battle over jurisdiction, land use law and the construction of a six-story, 59-unit residential building abutting Fort Lee’s municipal line with Leonia.